We've been looking at the world through chicken colored glasses, ever since.
I have written about many of our chicken “adventures” here. Some happy, some sad. But aside from chicks and eggs, how has raising chickens enhanced our lives?
I’m so glad you asked!! :)
1. They give us a reason to go outside. Checking on the chickens is a 5 minute-1 hour process, depending on the
day and time available. Sometimes the simple process of gathering eggs turns into picking dandelions to feed
the chickens, which turns into watching the chickens eat and run around, which turns into a photo shoot, which turns into an enjoyable afternoon out in the yard.
2. They give us a reason to stay outside. See above. Just add lawn chair and beverage.
3. We like to build stuff. Designing and building chicken
enclosures has become a favorite pastime. And since they tend to be smaller in scale than say, a garden shed or whole house remodel, it is a fun way to get the tools out and work on a project that can be done in a couple of days.
4. They eat leftovers. Ever feed a spaghetti noodle to your chicken? Ohhh, now that is fun!! They also love the overripe stuff from the garden and in general are pretty good garbage disposals.
5. They fertilize the garden. FOR FREE.
6. Bella! Having chickens goes hand in hand with worrying about your chickens. Which led us to the decision to get a LGD. Which is why we now have Bella. Or she has us. Either way, she’s been a wonderful addition to the family.
7. Circle of Life. We have gone full circle watching our babies grow, mature and even die. This year, we are hatching out the next generation. It’s a humbling and rewarding experience.
8. Taking pictures. I’m not sure if I love taking pictures of the chickens more than they love having their picture taken. It could be a tie. Looking back at the pictures is great fun too.
9. Chickens are the homesteader’s gateway project. Having chickens has forced us to reassess: use of
fertilizers, the way we eat, landscape design (aka no flowers in the yard), and the way we impact our environment. Pretty heady stuff, really. All because of
10. They feed us. Not just our bodies (eggs and meat), but our souls. Chickens have a fabulous way of looking at you like they KNOW. Like they GET IT. Pretty cool from something so low on the food chain they have to look up to see it.
Why do you love your chickens? Share with us! :)
Lots more about chickens, gardening, and food over at www.facebook.com/thepocketfarmer. Hope to see you there!