Let me repeat: We are bringing a dog home that we could potentially adopt (if all goes well).
If you don't know why that is a big deal, you'll want to check out my rant on how pet adoption is harder than fixing your credit score.
The next morning I get a call from Kate asking if I have time to discuss my application. Yes. YES. YEEESSSSS! She tells me right up front there are a couple issues to be resolved. Benny isn't neutered. Tom and I both have full time jobs away from home. What is our plan to care for a pet? Kate spent about 45 minutes having a conversation with me about our pets, our pet history, our reason for this adoption and all the things. She was caring, open minded and professional. We discussed Clyde and the idea that Benny might be overwhelming to a small dog due to his size. There was a concern that he might show dominance and perhaps aggression with another male dog. I was respectful of her questions and understood that this would only work if both the rescue AND the potential adoptee were comfortable with moving forward. We decided that some of these questions would be best answered in person. She told me she would consult with her director and let me know the next step.
A couple hours later Kate called me back and asked me if I could bring Benny out to the shelter to meet Clyde? Knowing that Clyde had other families waiting in the wings I did not hesitate. Yes Ma'am! I immediately packed up Benny in the car and off we went.
Once onsite, two things were immediately clear. One, Benny is a perfect gentleman and wouldn't hurt a fly. Two, Clyde was terrified of him. The poor guy wouldn't go near him and trembled the entire time. A couple other dogs had a similar reaction. So we regrouped and Kate suggested I look at their other dogs to see if we could find another candidate.
I'd like to stop here and mention how much I appreciated this offer. I had come to understand that our situation was not *ideal* in the realm of rescue placement and if the meeting with Clyde was a fail, Kate could have just turned us away and moved on. Offering to work at finding a better pairing was the first vote of confidence we had received since I started this process a year ago.
Back at the shelter, I was shocked to find SO MANY DOGS. (Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but wow, adoption is so needed! I'll talk more about that at another time.) Since we were looking for a specific size and type, due to our current and future lifestyle plans, I was able to narrow my focus on a couple dogs. We brought one little guy out, Tito, and he ran right up to Benny, completely unconcerned about his giantness. Encouraged by this reaction, we took both dogs out for a walk and found them to be calm and exhibiting normal behaviors.
What happens next: Tom and I are headed back to the shelter for him to meet Tito and if that goes well, we will be bringing Tito home for a trial home visit. A home visit! We'll have a week to test drive a new pet in our home and if all goes well, adopt a new member into our family.
So, wish us luck on this new opportunity, we are excited to maybe be new dog parents again and have opened our home and hearts to this possibility. Stay tuned...